Pages



Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Ditching the Take-Out

My first 10K! 

I've always been the type of person who thoroughly enjoys exercise. Truly, I do. Getting started, well that's always a bit of a mountain to climb but once I get going, I'm telling you I just love it! Now, I'll be the first to admit that I have my bouts of week long laziness(ahem, maybe more than 1 week), but eventually I always get back into some sort of routine. For the past couple of months, dance class two to three times a week suited my need for physical activity. But now that our recital has come and gone, I am beyond excited to be able to get in some mindless but regimented workouts. By mindless, I mean to say that there is no choreography involved. Y'all, dance is one of my biggest passions and a part of me that I hold so dearly in my heart, but ya girl was struggling to keep up this year with all the incredible choreography that my fellow dancers brilliantly came up with. So, I'm relieved that my mind can take it easy, and I can once again challenge my body to gain strength and endurance at my own pace.



Natarajasana at Glacier Point in Yosemite.
Jesse and I vowed to stay committed to exercising regularly and eating healthier. This time we're not giving up! (we're not the only ones who give up after just three weeks right??) And like I said, the exercise segment of this program will be a snap, but eating healthy.. man oh man, I'll be searching for every ounce of willpower inside of me. Oddly enough, Jesse is quite the opposite which means that we'll be able to really push each other to keep going. Every legit article you read mentions eating 5-6 meals a day including 2-3 snacks along with breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And I've got to say, it's a sound method to kick your metabolism into high gear. It seems like after the age of 25, you really have to have a complete and well-rounded food AND exercise plan if you want to maintain a healthy lifestyle. And that's really what our goal is.

I've always been the girl that was never fat but never ever thin. I've got child bearing hips and thighs that could rival tree stumps. Luckily, my mom raised me to always wear my pants above my hips, suck in my belly always, and wear clothes that fit me properly. That's something that I am so grateful for because despite my size and weight, people have always told me that I hold my weight well. That's always been really hard for me to accept though because even if I don't look gigantic it's a real bummer to skip certain aisles or racks in some of my favorite clothing stores and boutiques. (Umm boutiques, why does your large feel like an extra small?) But alas, these days I choose to focus on living a healthier lifestyle instead of losing weight just to fit into a pretty dress. With health as my main focus, a smaller dress or pants size will just be an added bonus. 



Our meals will look a lot more like this nowadays.
Admittedly, the past four years have not been my healthiest. I gained, what I like to call, happy weight. Jesse and I have enjoyed gatherings with our family and friends never forgetting to include libations and delicious sustenance. But starting now, we're hoping to be more balanced. We want to be examples of health and happiness to our children one day and I'm not sure that six packs (of beer) and take out twice (OK thrice) a week is going to get us there. So, here's to a healthier lifestyle. Wish us luck!

from my heart to yours,

Ellie




P.S. Tomorrow I'll post some of my favorite exercise routines (mostly running and yoga) and healthy recipes!

2 comments :

  1. Y'all got this, no worries right?? I know what you mean by happy weight!! :) right along with ya over here! Glad y'all decided to work together at it! I love when Bert wants to eat healthy instead of a hearty meal. Its not only good for you, but the dishes are always lighter!! Lol Stay positive and always have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we got this for sure! I'm glad we're in this together too. Tonight we grilled some chicken and veggies on the pit and it was so nice knowing that we wouldn't feel stuffed after dinner! Positivity and fun all the way! Love you guys!

      Delete